Tuesday, March 10, 2009

From the classroom to the UNC campus and Greeley community: Earth Reveries.

Last semester, I was introduced to the idea of Earth Reveries while taking Andrew Svedlow's "Earth Reveries: Arts and the Environment" class. Through out the class we read art-inspired works and participated in a project where we built an evergreen tree composed of Starbucks cup. The purpose of the project was to illustrate how much college students waste and how that waste can be shortened by using a mug. From there, the rest of the students of that class finished and went on winter break, maybe to never think of it further. But as the spring semester began, the Earth Reveries events began to pique my interest for sustainability. Thus, my first feature for the College of Performing of Visual Arts was a profile on Earth Reveries.

What I did well for this article was an interesting, descriptive lead that should grab the reader in to know more about why I am describing trash seen around campus. For students who are unaware of what Earth Reveries entails, they can read the story to get more information and some possible events. 

I should work on reading my articles out loud and editing.

I learned from my article that Dean Svedlow had proposed an Earth Reveries-like symposium at another university that he taught at.  I find it interesting that the College of Performing and Visual Arts can be credited for this semester-long event. Before my article and class, I would not have associated art with the environment in the ways that I have seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment